I made this spur-of-the-moment, in a fierce mood to use up as many odds and ends I had laying about in the fridge one rainy afternoon. Lucky for me, I had a few links of chorizo to crumble up with leftover corn kernels and cannellini beans. While these three things mingled together in a pan, they created an alchemy so wonderful, I literally had to stop and stare; there’s something so incredibly sultry about the way food glistens when it’s tossed with chorizo fat.
A few minutes later, I was pouring this glorious mix into a glass pie dish and layering, layering, layering. With liberal spoonfuls of Garden Fresh Gourmet white bean hummus, Jack’s special salsa, and handfuls of crushed blue corn tortilla chips. There was cheese, lots of it. Into the oven it went and emerged ten minutes later, crispy and melty. Before I ate this, I drizzled it generously with Mexican crema and dotted with fresh cilantro. This tortilla bake was perfect as an afternoon snack (my definition of snack is a bit unconventional) with a dark beer.
A quick recipe for tortilla bake with chorizo, corn, and white bean hummus. This meal comes together in 20 minutes making it perfect for busy nights.
- 1/2 pound chorizo
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1/3 cup cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- S + P
- 3-4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 5 tablespoons Garden Fresh Gourmet White Bean Hummus
- Couple handfuls Garden Fresh Gourmet blue corn tortilla chips, crushed
- 1/4 cup shredded quesadilla cheese
- 3 tablespoons Garden Fresh Gourmet Jack's Special Salsa
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Mexican crema
- Fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Set a medium-sized saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and break into small pieces with wooden spoon. Allow to cook and render off the fat, a few minutes. Toss in the corn and cannellini beans; season with salt and pepper and stir. Cook for another minute until the whole mixture is coated and glistening with delicious chorizo fat. Pour this mixture into a round glass pie dish and spread evenly.
- Cover with pepper jack cheese slices and then dollop white bean hummus all around, using spoon to spread. Crush tortilla chips all over. Top with shredded quesadilla cheese. Dollop with salsa and sprinkle feta cheese all over. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. To serve, drizzle Mexican crema all over the top and garnish with fresh cilantro.
// More quick meals: